Re: BLI 6,000 gal. tank car

Donald B. Valentine

---In STMFC@..., <hawk0621@...> wrote :

On May 20, 2017, at 11:00 AM, Don Valentine riverman_vt@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

The Brown Co. car, however, I am certain of
and know that the company had additional cars as well though none seem to be exact duplicates.
Again more research is necessary. But to me the Brown Co. car is a little jewel. I really like the
frame and feel it makes the overall model a bit better than the older design Atlas car. Again YMMV.
when one puts the BLI model next to an Atlas model the difference in size really stands out! It does
so in a way that to me at least heightens the impression of both models. Thus I am hopeful that
other New England based users of these really nice prototypes can be found and documented as
I'd really like to add more of them to the fleet.

Don,
The Brown Co. received the following three 6,000-gal., ICC-105A300, Type 27 tank cars from ACF.

Lot 738, BCX 1128, built 11-28
Lot 981, BCX 1129, built 8-29
Lot 1188, BCX 1130, built 10-30

BCX also purchased from ACF nine 3,000-gallon chlorine tank cars.

Lot 9635, BCX 1104-1105, built 11-23 (ARA V)
Lot 568, BCX 1122-1126, built 2-28 (ICC-105A300)
Lot 2476, BCX 1104-1105, built 1-43 (ICC-105A300)

Note the lot 2476 cars used the same numbers as cars built in 11-23. The lot 2476 cars were built new but with old customer-furnished trucks that ACF reconditioned.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Thanks for that additional information Ed. My problem with the Brown Co., as anyone who ever viewed the variety of rolling stock sitting in their former yard north of the plant in Berlin knows, is that there never seemed to be two cars that were alike until they acquired a batch of incentive per diem cars in the late
1970's, IIRC, for their Berlin Mills Rwy. The Brown Co. itself updated its listing in the ORER's in July 1947 and that update held at least through April 1948 as I have the ORER's for both months. Most cars are listed as AAR Mech. Design Type TPI but I have yet to figure out what the suffix "I" denotes when attached to the more normal Type TP applying to normal ICC-105A300 cars. Car #1119 was designated as Type TMU with the notation that it was an "addition". It was also a 100,000 lb. capacity car, as were #1133-#1135 also Type TMU. The TMU cars are surprising in that I have never seen photos of such cars in New England.

This all begs the question about #1128 - #1130, all built in the two years between 11-1928 and 10-1930. Were these cars really all alike or were changes made as time progressed? Needless to state, if they were all alike
I will be after BLI's Bob Grubba to offer #1128 and #1129 to go along with the available #1130. The reason I wonder about possible differences is due to the variation in water capacity by lbs. for each of the three cars.
Again no two were alike as for #1128 it was 48606, #1129 was 48084 and #1130 was 48215. Not a huge variance but a variance none-the-less. But the July 1959 ORER at least shows #1129 and #1130 as having a capacity of 5,798 gals., information that is not provided in the earlier ORER's. #1128 was off the roster by that date. The only older cars still on the roster in July 1959 were the #1104 and #1105, which you note were new cars utilizing old car numbers and rebuilt trucks. Their capacity was only 3,086 gals. All of these cars mentioned were only 60,000 lbs. capacity with the exception of the odd ball #1119 and #1127, another odd
ball with only a 5,000 gal. capacity but with trucks rated for 80,000 lbs. Hopefully that nominal 6,000 gal. capacity (actual 5,798) indicates that #1128 - #1130 were all alike so two more cars are a possibility.

Again my thanks for your assistance. Hopefully what I have added will be of some value to others interested
in these cars.

Cordially, Don Valentine