Re: BLI 6,000 gal. tank car

Tony Thompson

Don Valentine wrote:

Most cars are listed as AAR Mech. Design Type TPI but I have yet to figure out what the suffix "I" denotes when attached to the more normal Type TP applying to normal ICC-105A300 cars.

    Don, the"I" meant "insulated" and virtually all ICC 105A cars would have been insulated.

Tony Thompson
Car #1119 was designated as Type TMU with the notation that it was an "addition". It was also a 100,000 lb. capacity car, as were #1133-#1135 also Type TMU. The TMU cars are surprising in that I have never seen photos of such cars in New England.

This all begs the question about #1128 - #1130, all built in the two years between 11-1928 and 10-1930. Were these cars really all alike or were changes made as time progressed? Needless to state, if they were all alike
I will be after BLI's Bob Grubba to offer #1128 and #1129 to go along with the available #1130. The reason I wonder about possible differences is due to the variation in water capacity by lbs. for each of the three cars.
Again no two were alike as for #1128 it was 48606, #1129 was 48084 and #1130 was 48215. Not a huge variance but a variance none-the-less. But the July 1959 ORER at least shows #1129 and #1130 as having a capacity of 5,798 gals., information that is not provided in the earlier ORER's. #1128 was off the roster by that date. The only older cars still on the roster in July 1959 were the #1104 and #1105, which you note were new cars utilizing old car numbers and rebuilt trucks. Their capacity was only 3,086 gals. All of these cars mentioned were only 60,000 lbs. capacity with the exception of the odd ball #1119 and #1127, another odd
ball with only a 5,000 gal. capacity but with trucks rated for 80,000 lbs. Hopefully that nominal 6,000 gal. capacity (actual 5,798) indicates that #1128 - #1130 were all alike so two more cars are a possibility.

Again my thanks for your assistance. Hopefully what I have added will be of some value to others interested
in these cars.

Cordially, Don Valentine