Re: PRR R60 Express Refrigerator Car - T rucks

Jack Mullen

Bruce,
I'm confused by the part of your response saying "...2D5P1 trucks (aka 2D-P1, since the "-" in the nomenclature refers to the standard "5"). "

The 2D5P1 and 2D-P1 diagrams on Rob's PRR railfan site depict very different truck designs:
http://prr.railfan.net/diagrams/PRRdiagrams.html?diag=2D5P1-44846.gif&;sel=ptk&sz=sm&fr=

http://prr.railfan.net/diagrams/PRRdiagrams.html?diag=2D-P1-.gif&;sel=ptk&sz=sm&fr=

My understanding is that the middle digit, when present, denotes a NON- standard axle. In this case it appears to denote a 5-1/2" x 11" journal instead of the AAR D axle 5-1/2" x 10".

The PRR truck class system is straightforward and rational except for the ones with a middle digit instead of a dash. I guess when you're the Standard Railroad it gets tough having to standardize the non-standard. <G>

Jack Mullen