Re: SFRD reefer classes

Robert J Miller CFA

Clark.

From the Santa Fe Modeler's Listing of Freight Cars by Class and Car Number there were in 1953 the following number of cars in the respective number series.

RR-27 # 4200-4248.    48 cars

RR-27 # 18000-18499   0 cars, but there are cars in this series in 1956

RR-27 # 34500-34950 441 cars

On May 22, 2017, at 8:47 PM, tyesac@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: cepropst@q.com [STMFC] <STMFC@...>
To: STMFC <STMFC@...>
Sent: Mon, May 22, 2017 4:43 pm
Subject: [STMFC] SFRD reefer classes

At a train show a couple weekends ago I picked up a Longs Drug Store/IM SFRD reefer kit. The car has a reweigh of 40 and has the R-27 class. In the box was a Plano running board set for the R-28, 32 class. I know nothing about Santa Fe reefers (probably wrote the class wrong?) Anyways, the kit instructions say to use different platforms around the hatches on these different classes.
My questions is: Is there any other differences between these classes? The Plano parts represent steel running boards while the model has wood with the hatch doors opening toward the end of the car. I would like the car to represent a car in the late 40s to 50 era. I will reweigh the car with a newer date and could just as well re-class it if the Plano parts will work?
All advice is appreciated!
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa