Re: PFE/WP Reefers: Color of Feather (Orange or Silver)?

bill stanton

thanks to all for the info...although i said silver, upon closer inspection the rtr was all black and white (like the photo you provided)

btw, would these have been seen in southern california ca. 1947?

From: STMFC@... on behalf of 'Bruce F. Smith' smithbf@... [STMFC]
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2017 6:12 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] PFE/WP Reefers: Color of Feather (Orange or Silver)?

Bill,

When in doubt I refer to the gospels according to Thompson, Church and Jones (aka, the PFE "bible").  As I read them, technically, neither silver nor orange are correct for the feather.  The book states that the herald was always white on black.  Additionally, I have only identified cars that match that description in every online photo I can find.  For example: http://lariverrailroads.com/reefer/pfe55589.jpg

I'd go with the  one you think as "silver" as the most correct.  Of course that doesn't make the other car wrong, since RC had a fondness for experimental paint schemes.  However, given the paucity of the WP cars within the PFE fleet and the fact that they were freely distributed within that fleet, modeling the oddity is probably not the best approach.

Regards

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL