Re: Shipments: "Military Kraut"

Douglas Harding

Years ago I had a church member whose family had a truck farm near Muscatine IA. During WWII they sold cabbage for the US Army, which were shipped in gunny sacks in box cars. He remembered how the picking crews had to relearn how to sew the burlap bags closed, as the Army had a different way. It is quite possible some of those cabbages went on to make sauerkraut. To get us back on track, so to speak, the railroads that served Muscatine were the Milwaukee and the Rock Island.

From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...]
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 5:35 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Shipments: "Military Kraut"

Bob,

I agree with Jon. My parents told me a story from Iowa about this. German POWs held at a camp there were allowed to make some of their food to their taste. They made tons of kraut, then were shipped out to some other prison camp and had to leave their food behind. Next came the Japanese, who were ordered to eat the left-over German kraut. They objected (having their own taste in pickled foods), but to no avail. They were forced to eat the kraut before food more to their taste was allowed.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 5/23/17 2:49 PM, Jon Miller atsfus@... [STMFC] wrote:

On 5/23/2017 10:31 AM, thecitrusbelt@... [STMFC] wrote:

(one boxcar and three reefers).

    I think this was for consumption.  You don't need 4 car loads for analysis and reverse engineering.  Also Kraut might have been a normal term at that time, I don't know.  I do know that even as a child I called it Kraut and my ancestors came here in the early 1700s!

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941