Re: Questions about Second Grab Iron on House Car Sides

Guy Wilber

Dave wrote:

"I wonder when the 58-1/2 above the rail became the practice?"

Dave,

Too many A's and R's...Should have written "AAR" Standard as per the 1937 Box Car. I haven't looked at the hopper drawings. Even that height changed as revisions were made to ladder rung spacings. The parameters were spelled out as you mentioned and I'm quite sure they varied among builders and railroads to some degree.

The 1932 car drawings in the 500 series were revised to include two grab irons, but the lower height was somewhat higher...say, 3 to 4 inches.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada