Re: DL&W #46982, photo attached

MDelvec952

Photo of DL&W 46929 is attached ....Mike

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Mon, May 29, 2017 11:05 pm
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: DL&W #46982, was two three domed tank cars

Coming to this party late, but none of this series of cars were rebuilt by DL&W. They were retired as wood-bodied cars. This series had Youngstown doors. The F&C resin model for these cars is quite faithful. Nearly all in service cars got the 1942 Phoebe billboard scheme, but none are known to have seen the 1955 bolder billboard.

....Mike Del Vecchio

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian LaManna brianlamanna@hotmail.com [STMFC] <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
To: STMFC <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Mon, May 29, 2017 6:03 pm
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: DL&W #46982, was two three domed tank cars

List,

These DL&W cars are covered in Ted C's Essential Freight Cars #21, "ARA double-sheathed box and auto cars." The article includes a roster. Our number 46982 was built in 1927 in the series 46500-46999. They had 4/4 dreadnaught end, Ajax hand brakes, Youngstown Steel doors and Hutchins Dr Lading roofs as per the roster. These cars -- along with similar Lehigh Valley cars -- were not true ARA double sheathed cars as they had underlying structural members in a Howe truss. This is again, all from Ted's RMC article. Any mistakes are all my own.

These cars appear quite a few times in the Morning Sun Lackawanna books and some definitely made it well into the diesel era with their wood sides intact.

I was actually about to purchase an F&C kit of these cars for my planned mid 50's Lackawanna layout.

Cheers,

Brian LaManna/Moncton, NB

From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of 'Schuyler Larrabee' schuyler.larrabee@verizon.net [STMFC] <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: May 29, 2017 6:37:52 PM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Re: DL&W #46982, was two three domed tank cars

No luck yet on a photo, Don, but in the ’53 ORER, these are listed as having a steel center sill, the last such series before a notation that the cars in the subsequent numerical series* are “all steel.” There is also a note saying “z-bar,” and I have yet to find a listing of abbreviations which would explain what that means. Actually, I would not be very surprised to find that these were wood sheathed to the end. There were more wood sheathed cars in the late 40s- early50s than we realize.

*I do realize that not all car series are logically numbered in sequence, and build dates may not be sequential.

Schuyler

Don Valentine wrote:

Thank you Bill & Schuyler for your help. Some additional photos of the class would be

helpful if any turn up. I'm having a hard time accepting outside wood sheathing on the

car given the treatment of the end and the steel framing exposed at the bottom. first time

I recall seeing either of these features on a double-sheathed car that had bot received

new steel sides.

Thanks again, Don Valentine

---In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote :

Hello Don,

Per the ELHS reprint of the 1952 DL&W Freight Equipment diagram book, 46982 is one of a series 46800-46999, built by M.C. Corp. Sept 1927. The doors are listed for the larger series 46500-46999 as Superior & Youngstown Steel Side doors. I agree that it appears like a rebuild of, perhaps, a USRA car, but there is no mention of a rebuilding on the diagram page, which is consistently provided for those series where that is, in fact, the case.

This diagram book is still available, I think, from the ELHS.

Schuyler

From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Sunday, May 28, 2017 9:37 PM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] Re: two three domed tank cars

There are two additional cars in the 4th photo ahead of the two showing the tank cars as well.

The first car, though 4th in the train, while the other is the DL&W #46982. I cannot make out

the sheathing of the DL&W car. It looks to be some sort of steel rebuild of a double sheathed

car but I'm not certain. Does anyone know?

As for the tank cars, those early style vents are avaiable as nice lost wax castings from Owl

Mountain.

Cordially, Don Valentine

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.