Re: B&O M-26B Cross Ties

rwitt_2000

From drawings published in the trade journals of the time, I recall that the early X29 box cars had no cross ties just the cross-bearers located between the door posts and the body bolsters. But could my recollections be wrong and it was the ARA automobile cars PRR X28 and the B&O M-27 that had underframes with only cross bearers?  The cross ties to strengthen the underframe appeared in later designs.

In material from a very old handout authored by Chris Barkan on B&O ARA/AAR box cars, he states the classes M-26 and M-26b had the early ARA underframe, Unfortunately in the photos I have of class M-26 the brackets for the bottom door track obscures any rivets used for fastening the cross ties.

Regards,

Bob Witt.