Re: B&O M-26B Cross Ties

Dave Parker

Apologies in advance if this eventually posts twice, but Yahoo is being its usual glitchy self.

Bob:

I have six builders photos of X-29s built in 1924-25.  All but one of them are sharp enough to reveal the rivets under the door corresponding to the cross-ties.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

On Saturday, June 3, 2017 8:03 PM, "rwitt_2000@... [STMFC]" wrote:

From drawings published in the trade journals of the time, I recall that the early X29 box cars had no cross ties just the cross-bearers located between the door posts and the body bolsters. But could my recollections be wrong and it was the ARA automobile cars PRR X28 and the B&O M-27 that had underframes with only cross bearers?  The cross ties to strengthen the underframe appeared in later designs.

In material from a very old handout authored by Chris Barkan on B&O ARA/AAR box cars, he states the classes M-26 and M-26b had the early ARA underframe, Unfortunately in the photos I have of class M-26 the brackets for the bottom door track obscures any rivets used for fastening the cross ties.

Regards,

Bob Witt.