Re: Southeeastern Hopper Questions

George Courtney

David,

    I'm modeling Southern's Natural Tunnel route, which interchanged with the Interstate.  This was a heavy rail branch that ran from Appalachia, Virginia to Bulls Gap, Tn.  There was a cut off line from Bulls Gap to Asheville built around 1910.  This would have been the majority of coal shipments on the Southern into Asheville.  Perhaps as much as 90%.  Some coal could have come off the Southern's Middlesborough and Jellico branches..
      To put a freightcar emphasis on this, before building the run away safety tracks on Saluda grade, blame was placed on the Interstate hoppers as causing more problems than Southern hoppers for run away trains.
       Very little if any coal traffic came down to Asheville through Bristol as this would have been N&W coal.  Southern favored their mines.  I'm not expert, but the earlier, steel hoppers appear very much like USRA hoppers on the Interstate.

George Courtney