Re: when did nyc drop periods on boxcars?

Dave Parker

I have no NYC expertise but, since I have MOL the same question, I'm going to toss out what my modest collection of NYCL photos suggests.  Then, hopefully the NYC gurus can set me straight.

1.  Through the 1920s,  I see N.Y.C. (with periods), and both the reporting mark and road number seem to be 9" high.  No lines.  This scheme persists on some older cars until 1935 at least, probably longer.

2.  Starting with new cars in about 1929 (P&LE) or 1930 (NYC), the periods disappear, and the road number is reduced to 7-inch lettering.  This scheme starts to appear on repainted cars shortly thereafter.  Still no lines.

3.  The earliest evidence I have seen of lines above and below this lettering is a photo with a reweigh date of 2-36.

If anybody can refine (or correct) this further, I will greatly appreciate the information.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

On Thursday, June 8, 2017 8:58 AM, "bill_stanton60@... [STMFC]" wrote:

when did nyc drop periods but still had lines above and below "nyc" on boxcars?