Re: Mainline Modeler - Hundman Publishing - who really owns the copyright?

Martin Young

I have been reading this thread with interest but the answer still seems murky. But then that could be because the law is flexible. So let me ask a question and hopefully there is a clear answer. Let us say that I wrote an article for a current publication (which I have and am waiting for it to be published).

Do I retain the copyright or does that vary between magazines? If I retain the copyright then in theory I could submit the article to another magazine right now for publication. That, to me, seems unethical and probably would cause me to not have any future articles to be considered. Not a very good idea. If I retain the copyright then it would appear that after a reasonable amount of time, I could update the article and publish it again. But I am more interested in the next question.

Which copyright supersedes article ownership? Is it the magazine you first published in or the company that the magazine reassigned all articles to? The second company could be more strict on articles they own and not allow the author access to anything he wrote. Perhaps even publish the article again without asking permission or possibly not reimbursing the original author.

This has possibly been settled a courtroom already.

Marty
San Diego, CA

---- "Al Kresse water.kresse@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

Do not assume anything. Ask a general question to C&O HS folks to get Bob's Hundman's intent. C&O HS rates ease of sharing railroad knowledge as their top priority. I would GUESS not-for-profits just need to ask.

I don't have first hand knowledge of the agreement.

Al

On June 15, 2017 at 2:20 PM "rxensen@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

That is an interesting change as Bob and I spoke several years ago about C&NW articles and at the time he gave the society verbal permission to use any C&NW article needed for the CNWHS Modeler.

Per your statement we now have to ask the C&O society?
Ron Christensen