Re: Tank Car CIL 805

william darnaby

Both of these cars were indeed in company service.  I saw and photographed these cars a lot during my Purdue years as they were always around the Shops.  It was my understanding that they were in relatively captive service between Whiting, Indiana (Standard Oil) and Shops for specialty oils for locomotive and car maintenance.  Hence, the small compartments.

Bill Darnaby

From: "Andy Carlson midcentury@... [STMFC]"
To: "STMFC@..." <STMFC@...>
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2017 4:27 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Tank Car CIL 805

This car (or a sister) is a subject for one of the 1950s color slides often referred to as "the Gerstley Collection". It is, of course, a frameless Van Dyke tank car which the Monon acquired for company service. I had a brief discussion with Richard Hendrickson about this car and he noted that this was one of very few Van Dykes with AB brake conversions. Look at all of the brackets visible in the underside.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA