Re: Hazmat Placards

Tony Thompson

Rich Chapin wrote:

I have a copy of “Transportation of Explosives and Other Dangerous Articles by Freight including Specifications for Shipping Containers”, issued 12/11/1922, effective 1/1/1923. Required by a 3/4/1921 amendment to the Transportation Act of 1920. This is a ICC publication of regulations [actually labelled as “Freight Tariff No.1”.

Article 900 is required “Placarding of Cars”, but this has illustrations for explosives, poison gas, inflammable liquids and acids only. The last two are diamonds like the packaging, while the first two are rectangles.

      I wrote a blog post about all this back in 2012. My basis was a fine and authoritative article by John Ryczkowski, in Mainline Modeler (Volume 14, January 1993, pages 68–73), and I showed all the early and subsequent placards. Here is a link to that post:

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history