Reefers in lcl service

Richard Townsend

As long as we are agonizing over car distribution I want to ask a question about empty reefer movements. I have a September 1935 schedule for less than car load freight on the Colorado & Southern. It says that refrigerator cars may be used in lieu of box cars when they would be moving "in the direction that empty refrigerator cars are expected to be moving." I assume that means back to their home rails. So on the C&S, Fruit Growers and NP reefers would be expected to be moving north to their home roads, ART would be expected to be moving to Pueblo and the MP, SFRD would be expected to move south to Denver and the ATSF, PFE would be expected to move to Denver or some other interchange point with the UP. Assuming the cars in question do not have special instructions ("When empty, return to XYZ"), does this seem correct?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR