Re: Ratios

A&Y Dave in MD

John,

I will agree to some of your stipulations, except that it had almost nothing to do with Santa Fe. It was the Southern Railway in North Carolina. I chose 1934 partly because of the data available. I like the challenge of Depression era modeling without caricature. It doesn't depend for me though. It only depends if you have different preferences and resources.

Sent from Dave Bott's iPad

On Jun 21, 2017, at 12:00 AM, John Barry northbaylines@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Your proportions reflect the higher number of home road cars on he Santa Fe during the Great Depression. When I was in Sacramento, I discovered an accounting document evidently to justify future expenditures in the mid forties. I am away from my copied pages, but it did track the numbers of foreign. cars on line, and home road cars off line for a period of at least ten years. The percentage of foreign cars grew from about 10% in the early thirties to about 70% during the start of WWII.   I have to verify the exact percentages, but the difference was incredible.

So a word of caution, using that great adult under garment : It Depends!  With the Depression the traffic was really down and foreign cars incurred Per Diem and most RRs were short of cash.  The traffic crush of the war had just about anything that could roll carrying loads.

John Barry

On June 18, 2017, at 9:17 PM, "David Bott dbott@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

It's my railroad, and I chose that to be the Atlantic & Yadkin in 1934. I don't have a wheel report for the A&Y so I got the next best thing--nearly a year of wheel reports from my shortline's owning railroad on the division that shares a yard and interchanges most with the line I model.

I recently took those reports and selected any road name contributing more than 50 car instances (i.e., recorded on a train) out of the 7000 instances recorded.  That gave me about 20 roads with local names dominating and most big regional or national fleets also represented.

Then I reduced the numbers proportionally to fit my expected layout capacity of 250 revenue cars. I can scale that up or down as needed.

I now have that list of cars as my buying and building list.  Those railroads without enough in the wheel reports to "make the cut" (pun intended) can be found in the miscellaneous cars, so long as there is no more than two at one time on the layout. This is my wiggle room for that must have kit.

Interestingly, I need about 100 home road box cars in the 250 cars. A function of time and geography, but clearly not unprototypical.

Dave

Sent from Dave Bott' iPhone