From: STMFC@... on behalf of jimbetz@... [STMFC]
Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2017 10:21 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Speaking of "Do Not Hump" ...

Hi,

  Every once in a while we see cars that are labeled "Do Not Hump" - often with some

lettering on a white background attached to a tack board but also, every once in a

while, just marked in chalk on the sides or doors of the car.

  This prompts me to ask the following questions:

  1) When were hump yards "invented" ... and when were they in common use?

      I'm guessing post WW-II for the second part ... ???

  2) Why were cars marked "Do Not Hump" - what was the reason for it?  The kind

      of load it was carrying?  Something about the car itself?  I'm guessing that

      this was done to avoid damage ... but what kinds of loads/cars would be

      damaged by going thru the hump?

  3) What did the RR do if a car was coming up over the hump and the hump operator

      saw that marking/warning on it?  Did they send it down an empty track?  Stop

      the shove and take the cut back down the way it came up and 'side track' the

      car?

  4) If you were establishing a "no earlier than 19__" date for "Do Not Hump" to be

      on any of your cars (because your layout represented that date or earlier)

      what year would you use?

                                                                                          - Jim B.