Re: Presence of Canadian Cars


John Riddell
 

For many years CN boxcars carried large quantities of newsprint from the large pulp and paper mill in Kapuskasing, Northern  Ontario. This large mill was built in 1926 by Spruce Falls Power and Paper Company (the Canadian affiliate of Kimberly-Clark Corp.)  To obtain a reliable supply of newsprint the New York Times purchased 49 % and after 1957 the Washington Post purchased 10%  Prior to 1962 CN 40 ft boxcars were used and after 1964 new CN 50-ft purpose-built newsprint boxcars were used. between Kapuskasing and New York and Washington DC.

 

John Riddell

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.