Re: Empties in Train Consists

Allen Montgomery

I think you'll find that the load vs.mt ratio gets worse as the r.r.'s moved west. Your graph of Iowa makes sense to me as it's likely loads are going at least short haul in any direction. But, for example, you will find that a westbound train on the UP out of Council Bluffs, Iowa had mostly empties. I've seen train sheets that had say 1 load, 87 empties. This was quite frequent on the UP, since it was a bridge route. In photos that I've studied (of course you can't see the whole train), an eastbound has maybe an empty gon or flat in front of the caboose, the rest is, say, lumber.
Allen

On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 4:09 PM, "Nelson Moyer npmoyer@... [STMFC]" wrote:

I’ve often wondered about the ratio of loads to empties in mainline consists. While wheel reports are helpful, train sheets provide a wealth of information, at least on the Burlington Route. I summarized the consist data presented in Steve Holden’s article in Burlington Bulletin No. 53 as shown below.

Summary of Freight Traffic Through Burlington, IA
June 29, 1964

Loads In                  Loads Out                 Tonnage In            Empties In             Empties Out         Tonnage Out
24                              28                                 3167                         37                              29                              3280
61                              61                                 4955                         41                              41                              4955
70                              70                                 4953                         24                              24                              4953
12                              4                                   440                            2                                58                              1766
9                                16                                 1560                         40                              51                              2502
40                              40                                 3436                         40                              40                              3436
38                              38                                 4660                         60                              60                              4660
36                              43                                 4946                         107                            118                            5671
45                              45                                 5244                         83                              83                              5244
17                              19                                 1192                         11                              3                                1219
53                              31                                 5650                         88                              77                              3856
91                              91                                 5996                         39                              39                              5996     

I was surprised at the high percentage of empties vs. loads, especially since it’s the loads that pay the bills. I wonder how typical these data are, especially since they represent a single day. Many of the Westward empties are stock cars and meat reefers, and I guess the Eastward empties are mostly boxcars. I’d be interested in other data on empties if anyone wishes to share.

Nelson Moyer

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.