Re: Interesting Freight Car

Douglas Harding

That is a coke rack, most likely placed on a flatcar body, or possibly a gon. The car is used to transport coke. Lettering would be like that found on flatcars or gons.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2017 12:12 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Interesting Freight Car

The sign reads “FOR EXCLUSIVE USE BETWEEN LACLEDE COKE PLANT & MISSISSIPPI VALLEY IRON WORKS”.  That would place it in the St. Louis Terminal district with my guess being the south side on the Iron Mountain perhaps in Lesperance Street yard just south of the Municipal (Free) Bridge, aka the MacArthur Bridge.  I will defer to Ed Hawkins for more detailed information or any corrections to my best guess on the location.

David Jobe, Sr.

Saint Ann, Missouri

Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2017 11:22 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Interesting Freight Car

Here is a photo link from the Barriger Library:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12482153214/in/dateposted/

Use the arrow pointing down at the lower right corner to see a larger version of the photo.

This undated photo was taken on the Missouri Pacific.

Notice the distinctive car in the middle of the photo. This appears to be a car that was in captive service and didn't leave the MP. The car lacks initials and a road number but does have a sign that begins to read "For Exclusive Use..."

I'm sure some of you already know all about this or similar cars so please share what you know.

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.