Re: Silicon for attaching weights

Denny Anspach <danspachmd@...>

CLEAR silicone is not an adhesive (usually so warned on the label) but has an uncanny ability to simply grab onto a surface, fingers of silicone locking into any crevice, or irregularity. . The objects so joined can be resilient to mild stresses, but when separated, the silicone just peels off. This characteristic makes it quite useful in mounting new can motors in brass locomotives, and I have done so for about 20 years. . Flat featureless or painted surfaces are a recipe for failure. It is also pretty inert, probably the reason that it is commonly used to seal aquariums, and probably exactly why it has so poor adhesive qualities.

The blue Barge Cement in the small consumer tubes holds as well as the old yellow (only now available in bulk amounts). The blue is not as easy to work (more stringy-ness), but it is certainly manageable. As Tony Thompson avers, contact cements properly applied, like Barge, GOO, or Pliobond, provide incredibly strong lasting adhesion, virtually all failures that I have experienced (I have used them in modeling since the ‘50s) have been substrate failure, i.e. peeling paint, deteriorating or poor surface preparation, etc. Non destructive separation does not become an option.

Canopy and Kwik Clear: Sleeper adhesives that are incredibly useful for modelers. I do think that too much may be asked of these adhesives inasmuch as they are simply not the strongest.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento CA