Re: Soda Pop Bottling Plants

Dave Parker

Thanks Tony.  One does learn something new every day.  Was the C&H sugar locally grown (beet sugar), or did it arrive from warmer climes by boat (cane)?

As I qualified, "my understanding is...".  I think it would take quite a bit of digging to unravel how much sucrose was transported nationally in syrup vs  granular form, and it might very well be era-dependent.

Fortunately, the chemical side of it is comparatively clear.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

On Sunday, July 2, 2017 6:30 PM, "Tony Thompson tony@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Dave Parker wrote:

Sucrose (beet or cane sugar) is indeed a combination of glucose and fructose; it's a chemical combination - a disaccharide -- comprised of one molecule of each.  In the food and beverage industry, they don't get separated until the reach your GI tract.  My understanding is that sucrose is not soluble enough to make transporting it as a syrup economical, so it has historically been shipped to soft drink (or other) plants in granular form.

        This last statement would have come as quite a surprise to both Southern Pacific, which modified a couple of hundred tank cars for "liquid sugar" service (meaning concentrated sucrose) and to C & H Sugar, which shipped it that way from Crockett for decades. C&H of course produced cane sugar. Those were the familiar SP tank cars with the diamond "S" on the dome.
         A former employee told me the "liquid sugar" was fairly thick, or as he said, "goopy." I know nothing beyond that as to the state of that product.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history