Re: Two more Gondolas with coiled end corrugations Plus a Hutchins end Gon

destorzek@...

---In STMFC@..., <rtbsvrr69@...> wrote :

These can be considered THE standard Monon freight car for the steam era; nearly a quarter (1476 of 6184 freight cars) of their entire freight car fleet in 1930 was made up of these cars, which were essentially "Improved USRA" clones.

31000-31299 - built by the CI&L shops, 1922
32400-33299 - built 1923
33300-33599 - built by Pullman, 7/1923

The cars mostly didn't survive WWII, with only 525 of the cars left in 1945. Per the Monon's 1947 diagram book, only a few were left as captive service stone cars in the 4601-4716 series, with none at all showing up in the revenue roster.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

I've been away for a couple days, just catching up, had to read through to see how the turnout discussion turned out :-)

There were two more groups of gondolas built with these ends:

500 tight bottom cars (GB) built by Haskell & Barker in 1921 as Lot 5209 for the Clarkson Coal Mining Co. These cars went to the Soo Line in 1927 as 63801-64799 (odd numbers only).

250 tight bottom cars (GB) built by Pullman Car & Manufacturing Co. (the former Haskell & Barker Michigan City plant) in 1923 as Lot 5345 for the Soo Line, numbered 7001-7499 (odd numbers only).

Between the two groups, the end pressings faced inward on the 1921 cars, outward on the 1923 order.

I suspect this was a Haskell & Barker proprietary end. When I was organizing the H&B drawing collection at the Pullman Library, I found more information on these ends than on any others; detailed drawings of the pressings that I seem to recall were marked as being for the pressing dies.

I do not recall any other lots using this end, unless some other road ordered just ends for a home shop car building program, this would seem to be the total of cars using this end.

Dennis Storzek