Re: Item On PFE Reefer Roof

Bruce Smith

Tom,

As Bill has already noted, these are hatch rests.  They kept the hatches from damaging the roof and the roof from damaging the hatch, especially the latching and grab iron hardware on the hatches. Careful examination will show that these are on most refrigerator cars, especially those with steel roofs.  “Our Companies” (FGE, BRE, WEF, National) had a unique design that is quite recognizable if you know it.  These PFE hatch rests appear to be simply extra height ribs.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Jul 5, 2017, at 10:02 AM, Tom Cataldo cataldotj@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Maybe the  p F e book got the answer

     Tom

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017, thecitrusbelt@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

In this photo from the Barriger Library I noticed items near the end of the roof paralleling the roof ribs:

The other reefer also has them. Is this some sort of stop for a fully open bunker hatch or does it serve some other purpose?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

--
Thomas  j Cataldo