Re: Automobile Shipping

Al Kresse <water.kresse@...>

For looking at C&O and N&W photos it is not that unusual to find pictures of portions of the auto unloading docks with ramps next to the team track.  Unfortunately, photographers focused on the adjacent depots.  These ramped-docks are rarely captioned in the photo credits.  The station history cards for changes many times list removal of the team track and docks.  Ramps would be erected for end-door unloadings.

After WW2, folks were allowed to arrange through their dealer to pick up their cars at the assembly plants and save the shipping charges.  My uncle, working in a dealership shop, living in Washington would take the train to Flint, Michigan, and then drive the family back through his old home in South Dakota in their new car.

Trucking new cars longer distances became more common in the mid-50's.

Al Kresse

On July 9, 2017 at 4:26 PM "radiodial@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

Thanks Bruce,

I've seen the replies in the past that the info is in conversation history and in the photos section, and I think "what a newbie". Until now when it is my turn!  Ya know, I searched all 3 "Misc" and "Miscellaneous" folders, plus searched prior message history back to 2001. Nada. Did find a scan of an auto-rack loading damage form though in the photo section. Lots of pictures of model Auto cars.
A Google search found 2 pictures of actual boxcar loading in the 30's-40's, but no unloading.
So maybe the question is, were Automobile boxcars actually used to deliver cars from the factory to the dealers for any length of time?  I figured there would be more images out there if they were.
Attempting to keep the rolling stock fleet balanced and find a use of all these automobile boxcars I tend to build/acquire.
Thx,
RJ Dial
Burlingame, CA

---In STMFC@..., <smithbf@...> wrote :

RJ,

There are several photos in the Miscellaneous album on the group page.  There include an N&W automobile car with the Evans loaders down and in position to receive a car as well as a photo with the car loaded in the upper position.

A search of the Conversations of this group will also yield much more information.

Regards

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL