Re: Square Wire for Vertical Brake Staffs

destorzek@...

---In STMFC@..., <fgexbill@...> wrote :

A square brake shaft on the "B" end of a boxcar would be vey cool I think.

Bill Welch

Careful with assumptions, Bill. I've looked at a lot of drawings, and more than a few surviving cars, and don't recall ever seeing square stock specified for a vertical brake staff. The tapered square end that fit the brake wheel was easy enough to forge on round stock.

Where square stock was universally used was drop brakes on flatcars, since the whole staff had to slip through the ratchet wheel, and should be functional at any point between fully raised to fully retracted.

Special Shapes Co. used to have .020" square brass, which at a scale 1.75" square, was about the perfect size. I used some on a flatcar model years ago.

Dennis Storzek