Re: Automobile Shipping

Bruce Smith

RJ

From the Misc Album

Empty N&W car

N&W car with a car loaded

On the web a search of "Loading automobile boxcar" got plenty of photos.

Yes these cars were used for this traffic very frequently.  The time frame starts shortly after the automobile became popular and lasted into the mid to late 1950s.  Post WWII, the traffic tapered off with other modes of delivery starting to take precedence.

Some automobile cars had end doors that made them useful for loads that wouldn't fit in the racks (and not all automobile cars had end doors).  Among the more popular cargos were fire engines, and even airplanes,.  In fact the Army's movies of the very first US jet airplane show it being delivered in an end door automobile car.

See Tony's excellent blog for a good discussion and a photo of an Aeronica airplane being loaded.

http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2015/12/delivering-loads-from-automobile-cars.html

Regards

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

From: STMFC@... on behalf of radiodial@... [STMFC]
Sent: Sunday, July 9, 2017 3:26 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Automobile Shipping

Thanks Bruce,
I've seen the replies in the past that the info is in conversation history and in the photos section, and I think "what a newbie". Until now when it is my turn!  Ya know, I searched all 3 "Misc" and "Miscellaneous" folders, plus searched prior message history back to 2001. Nada. Did find a scan of an auto-rack loading damage form though in the photo section. Lots of pictures of model Auto cars.
A Google search found 2 pictures of actual boxcar loading in the 30's-40's, but no unloading.
So maybe the question is, were Automobile boxcars actually used to deliver cars from the factory to the dealers for any length of time?  I figured there would be more images out there if they were.
Attempting to keep the rolling stock fleet balanced and find a use of all these automobile boxcars I tend to build/acquire.
Thx,
RJ Dial
Burlingame, CA

---In STMFC@..., wrote :

​RJ,

There are several photos in the Miscellaneous album on the group page.  There include an N&W automobile car with the Evans loaders down and in position to receive a car as well as a photo with the car loaded in the upper position.

A search of the Conversations of this group will also yield much more information.

Regards

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL