From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...]
Sent: Sunday, July 09, 2017 8:48 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] RE: [STMFC] Automobile Shipping

Well, RJ, I am in the process of building a model of a box car that was built in January 1942 as an automobile car. It’s definitely a 10’-6” IH car, but it’s even labeled on the side as a 10’-4” IH car because it was originally equipped with racks, reducing the clear IH by 2”. So the railroads anticipated shipping automobiles in box cars at least into the early 40s.

They didn’t ship many, of course, because most auto manufacturers were converting their factories to make war materiel.

Schuyler