Chasing NYNH&H Placard Boards

Bill Welch

Here is a photo of the two styles of Placard Boards I fabricated for the post war 10-ft IH New Haven boxcar I am working on. The PB's on the doors used two different sizes of lumber. For two middle boards I made 2x5 boards from 2x4 and 1x2 styrene while the outer boards are made from 2x4 styrene. For the end PB's I used the 2x5 boards. Once the glue had cured I trimmed them and sanded the back to thin each part. I don't know the exact dimensions of the lumber or the PB's themselves but I think they look very close. For example the door PB's span exactly the same number of ribs as on the prototype photo and the rivets that join the door's sections. As you can see I have also used harvested rivets on the InterMountain Improved Dreadnaught end part.

Clearly I have become as obsessed with Placard Boards as I am with Sill Steps.

Bill Welch