Detail on CNW/CMO gondolas

Ted Culotta

If one looks at photos of the CNW/CMO AAR recommended practice and related "11-panel" gondolas of 1945-1956, there is a distinctive detail at the lower right corner of the far left panel (adjacent to the left end). It appears to be a casting of some sort. In looking at my photos, I cannot identify it or its purpose. Since it is on both sides of the car, it is unlikely a defect card holder, as these were usually only on one side of the car. Does anyone know what this detail is?

It can be seen in the articles on these cars by Jeff Koeller in Mainline Modeler, May and June, 2005.

The Sunshine kits do not duplicate this feature.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Ted