Re: I count five (5) pickle cars in this image

John Hagen <sprinthag@...>

In regards to the photo mentioned in David Leider’s pickle book, it is on page 61. It is car 116 and the photo is from 1947.

The reporting marks for Squire Dingee are SDX.

BTW, decals for Squire Dingee cars are available from OBS-CALS in any scale. They were designed to match SDX 116 as it appears in the photo but other numbers are included.

As can be seen in the John W. Barriger III National Railroad Library photo, all the cars are of the same basic style. That said, they all seem to vary in the details. So any similar car using four wooden vats should make for a convincing model.

I know Ted Schnepf scratch built at least one in “O” scale.

John Hagen

Obs.cals@...