Re: What type of industry is this, at the inclined ramp

Charles Morrill

A ramp set up like this was used to transfer bulk commodities from narrow gauge cars to standard gauge cars.  The SP had a similar facility at its narrow gauge/standard gauge interchange.

Charlie

From: Jerry Breon jbreon@... [STMFC]
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2017 12:15 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: What type of industry is this, at the inclined ramp

While I agree with the majority of group members that the incline ramp in the photo below is leading to a small, steam locomotive coaling facility, I'm wondering if there were ever any similar facilities of this era that existed for the purpose of transferring bulk commodities (coal, sand, gravel, etc.) from one freight car to another or if the need to do so even existed?

Thanks,

Jerry Breon

Mooresville, NC

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:27 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Claus Schlund" clausschlund

Hi List Members,

What type of industry is this, at the inclined ramp, being served by steam era freight cars on the C&NW?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12294845895/sizes/o/

Claus Schlund