Re: the gon coupled to the boxcar was here moved with the drop doors open

Tim O'Connor

Commonly seen with fresh ballast. Nowadays a machine goes down the track
lifting it from underneath and allowing the clean rock to settle under and
between the ties. Tamping and surfacing I think it's called.

To me, the most interesting thing about this picture is the large amount of ballast piled up over the ties and crowned at the center between the tracks. I've never seen that much ballast on any other railroad. Is this freshly dumped ballast waiting for a ballast spreader, or is this the way it was all the time? Can you imagine the grief a modeler would take if ballast was piled that high on the layout?

Nelson Moyer