Re: the gon coupled to the boxcar was here moved with the drop doors ope

David Payne

In a message dated 8/7/2017 12:51:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, STMFC@... writes:
It looks like the gon coupled to the boxcar was here moved with the drop doors open. While we are at it, the boxcar was probably moved with the door open as well...

Though I cannot speak for the era in the photo, I've seen plenty of boxcars moving with one or both doors open and hoppers, but not drop-bottom gons, with dump doors open but certainly fewer than boxcar doors.  Hopper doors could strike grade crossings while boxcar doors created drag.  I can only image if the lateral doors of a drop-bottom gon struck some object.  Of course, since they were outside the gauge, there was probably less opportunity for this to occur.  Either way, don't be too surprised that rules/instructions weren't strictly adhered to ...

David Payne
Who once flagged down a train dragging an open hopper door ...
Georgia