Re: 5 Man Crew.

Todd Sullivan

Hi Gordon,

For road jobs, the usual crew complement was engineer, fireman, conductor, head end brakeman, and rear end brakeman.  Some states required, and I think some railroads used, depending on the job the train did, a swing brakeman that would work wherever needed between both ends of the train.

For yard jobs, at least on the terminal switching outfit that I worked at, the crew complement was engineer, fireman, switch crew foreman and three switchmen.

Some shortlines, industrial railroads and loggers would use only 2-3 crewmen, and were not subject to national and state full crew laws.

Todd Sullivan.