Re: Fred Harvey Freight Car?

Patrick Wade

Even the dirty laundry was transported to one of Fred's regional laundries in empty reefers.

Pat Wade
Santa Barbara, CA

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 6:45 PM, Tom VanWormer robsmom@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Which would be correct for the Fred Harvey system since most of their food and equipment was distributed via ATSF Express Reefers, even in the early days of the 1880s and 1890s.

Tom VanWormer
Monument CO

tyesac@... [STMFC] wrote:

Paul, Bob,

I bought a print of that photo at one of the Naperville RPM's.   It's a chalked on "logo" on a 57' ACF wood side express reefer.   It's clear from the photo that it was not painted on but done with chalk (rather nice done in fact).

Tom Casey

From: STMFC List <STMFC@...> on behalf of STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Date: Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 2:26 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Subject: [STMFC] Fred Harvey Freight Car?

A question from another group:

"Somewhere in the back of this old brain I think I saw a black and white image of a freight car in the tracks near Dearborn with the name Fred Harvey written on the side in big script. Try as I might I have not been able to find that print or any other images of such a thing.

Has anyone seen a picture of such a car? I have no idea if it was a boxcar or reefer."

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA