Re: Cambria & Indiana 2423 twin hopper in a wreck

anthony wagner

According to my 1-1-50 ORER the 794 cars still remaining in C&I series 2400-3399 were 1783 cu ft with a side height of 10' 5" which as you pointed out was 5" taller than  the Gla. The cars numbered 1500-2399 were no longer listed. It appears that from the time when you found your information and early 1950 C&I must have retired the lower numbered cars and very probably rebuilt the survivors. From what I have learned over the years hopper cars were rebuilt at relatively frequent intervals, roughly every ten years or so, because of abrasion of the side and slope sheets and also from chemical deterioration since wet coal  also creates weak sulfuric acid, IE "acid rain". Tony Wagner

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 11:46 AM, "jaydeet2001@... [STMFC]" wrote:

C&I 1500-3399 were similar to the Gla in most respects, except for the extra 5 inches in height. This is why the capacity is 1817 cf, versus 1683 for the Gla proper.

David Thompson