DRILLING INTO SOFT METAL

ed_mines

I DRILLED 8 SMALL HOLES INTO THE CUPOLA CASTING OF A QUALITY CRAFT CABOOSE. IT TOOK ME 10-15 MINUTES WHILE WATCHING A VIDEO ON YOU TUBE.

AS I'VE BEEN USING FOR THE LAST FEW MONTHS, I USED A TUNGSTEN CARBIDE PCB DRILL BIT (.4MM) IN A TRADITIONAL PIN VICE.

THE DRILL WENT THROUGH THE METAL LIKE A KNIFE GOES THROUGH BUTTER!

I DIDN'T EVEN BREAK THE DRILL! SOMETIMES I GO THROUGH 3 OR 4 ON A BAD DAY.

I FIND IT HARD TO GET SMALL DRILLS CENTERED IN A PIN VICE. THESE PCB DRILLS ARE CONCENTRIC AND THEY'RE EASY TO CHANGE.

ED MINES