From: "'Bruce F. Smith' smithbf@... [STMFC]"
To: "STMFC@..."
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2017 4:07 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] A couple of freight cars that appeared on Facebook Page

Dennis, Folks,

Given that several other photos show hundreds of landing craft, I wondered if the “line" wasn’t being used to equip these as part of the preparation.  Remember that in 1945, this is most likely preparation for the invasion of Japan.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

On Aug 21, 2017, at 2:55 PM, destorzek@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

---In STMFC@..., wrote :

Ken,

It would seem that the flat cars are Marine Corps or Navy captive cars, given they are painted gray (what else?). US base railroads sucked up a lot of old equipment from many railroads for in-plant use during the war...

I'd also suggest these are not loaded for interchange, but rather the side stake rack is something for "in-plant" use only. Kind of looks like used line being taken off a ship during re-fit.

Dennis Storzek