Re: tank car builder identification

Ian Cranstone

On 2017-08-27, at 3:22 PM, Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC] wrote:

Hoping to find out who built this car... Supposedly the photo was
taken somewhere in Canada. Also, are those KD brakes?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timboconnor/36677981792/

Tim, I suspect this is a narrow-gauge car in Newfoundland service.  As you may recall, during the Second World War, Britain traded bases for old destroyers, including some in Newfoundland (then a British colony).  Since this car is lettered for the U.S. Air Force, I'm assuming that we are looking at a photo taken sometime circa or after 1947, and likely in aviation gasoline service or possibly jet fuel.

I believe this car was likely built by Canadian Car & Foundry, whose standard cars seem to have a lot in common with AC&F cars.  I presume that they built AC&F frames under licence, but don't know this for a fact.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada