Re: MTY's breaking the N-G distribution model

devansprr

Bruce,

I messed up - I have always agreed N-G does not apply to home road cars. I thought there was some debate about how far individual trains could diverge from it. My bad.

But the ATSF string being so close to the Yermo transportation storage depot does raise an interesting question about how the RR's would satisfy sudden demands for large quantities of MT's to move cargo to the ports as Convoys were loaded. Would a RR stockpile foreign road MT's for such calls, or would they effectively create a captive service fleet of home road cars? Interesting WWII consist question.

There really isn't any way to know if that string is MT or loaded... Based on John Barry's description of the traffic flowing through Barstow, I find it hard to believe they would have dedicated one of their main yard tracks to storing MT's for local distribution.

Dave Evans

---In STMFC@..., <smithbf@...> wrote :

Dave,

The N-G model does not apply to home road cars, or to individual trains.  No-one associated with it has ever claimed it did.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL