Re: The G-N Distribution Model

Aley, Jeff A

Schuyler,

               A couple of points – the G-N model only applies to free-roaming cars (think “plain boxcars”).  Not bottle cars, not hoppers, not reefers.  Not even boxcars in Pool service (auto parts?).  For those, you may develop the “Larrabee Distribution Model”.

               The G-N model only applies to Foreign-Road cars.  The home road is a whole ‘nuther thing.

               What I conclude from the model (given that I model the UP mainline in Kansas), is that I actually do need X29’s and NYC and C&O boxcars, even though Kansas is a long ways from those RR’s territories.  And the proportions of those cars on my model RR should reflect their proportions in the national fleet.  I shouldn’t have 1 X29 with 37 MKT boxcars – the regional bias just ain’t so.  Maybe a particular train would have that variation, but my overall stash of cars should not.

Regards,

-Jeff

From: STMFC@...
<STMFC@...> on behalf of 'Schuyler
Larrabee' schuyler.larrabee@... [STMFC]
<STMFC@...>
Sent: Monday, September 4, 2017 5:21 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] The G-N Distribution Model

Gize,

I wasn't very interested in the Gilbert-Nelson
Distribution Model when it was being developed. I
didn't have a layout then (still don't, but maybe
. . .) so I satisfied my Freight Car building
urges by building kits that struck my eyes as
being interesting. Since those times I've settled
(more or less) on modeling the ERIE in the 1950-52
time frame, and thus the G-N Model has become of
more interest to me.

But is the G-N Model neatly summarized anywhere?

And where might I find that?

Schuyler