Re: The G-N Distribution Model

SUVCWORR@...

And you can carry the reality even further by having off staging storage for those cars that might only show up once a year.

For example, the Elkland Leather tank car carrying spent tanic acid may only move to a processing facility once every 3 or 4 months in reality.  So the car when returned empty is taken off the layout and stored for the next Y number of operating sessions.  You determine the Y.  In the case of this car and operating twice a month it would sit out for 6 - 8 sessions.  All it requires is another car card that indicates when it is to be cycled onto the layout.

I use Elkland leather as my example because I am currently seeking information on these cars to build one of their tank cars which will appear perhaps only once every 6 months.  The planned fleet for the Western Pennsylvania Model Railroad Museum has a number of these cars which all are cycled following the same method.

Rich Orr

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC
Sent: Tue, Sep 5, 2017 6:57 pm
Subject: RE: [STMFC] The G-N Distribution Model

I guess I am really more attuned to operations rather than modeling a static collection. Where I see value in the G-N distribution model is in building the layout FLEET. That is the global set that all trains will be built from.  

One of the layouts I operate on uses the time tested CC&WB (Car Card and Way Bill) system with four cycle waybills. The owner has chosen to include the MTy moves as part of the cycle, and that makes what Dave mentions entirely possible; MTy hopper trains are mostly home road cars with a few captured foreign cars thrown in, WB hauler trains have mostly western road MTys, while EB hauler trains are just the opposite. Routing of particular road's MTys are repetitious, because that road's cars always go home through the same gateway. However, the consist of any particular train, and by extension the yard that's building it, is entirely random, as it should be. ALL are within the realm of plausibility, because the fleet of cars they are drawn from match a reasonable distribution of the national fleet. 

Dennis Storzek

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.