From: destorzek@... [STMFC]
To: STMFC
Sent: Tue, Sep 5, 2017 6:57 pm
Subject: RE: [STMFC] The G-N Distribution Model

I guess I am really more attuned to operations rather than modeling a static collection. Where I see value in the G-N distribution model is in building the layout FLEET. That is the global set that all trains will be built from.

One of the layouts I operate on uses the time tested CC&WB (Car Card and Way Bill) system with four cycle waybills. The owner has chosen to include the MTy moves as part of the cycle, and that makes what Dave mentions entirely possible; MTy hopper trains are mostly home road cars with a few captured foreign cars thrown in, WB hauler trains have mostly western road MTys, while EB hauler trains are just the opposite. Routing of particular road's MTys are repetitious, because that road's cars always go home through the same gateway. However, the consist of any particular train, and by extension the yard that's building it, is entirely random, as it should be. ALL are within the realm of plausibility, because the fleet of cars they are drawn from match a reasonable distribution of the national fleet.

Dennis Storzek