Re: PRR X23, X25 and B&O M-26 photo

Charles Morrill

Judging from the diesel age lettering on the cabooses in the background there would have not been many steam engines around to provide the “soot”.
Charlie

From: Tony Thompson tony@... [STMFC]
Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2017 12:57 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: PRR X23, X25 and B&O M-26 photo

It would only take a few miles near a steam engine being badly fired to do that. I don't think it typical.
Tony Thompson

On Sep 9, 2017, at 10:04 PM, 'Aley, Jeff A' Jeff.A.Aley@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Dave,

               In one of Tony Thompson’s recent blog postings, I was struck by the appearance of a flat car load of lumber.  There was a significant coating of soot on the top of the load.

               If I assume that this car was a “roller” and roamed the rails for a three or four weeks, that would indicate that any car over a month old should have a pretty grimy roof.

The photo may be seen here:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-oXGAZ80oqjg/VW46BFgipSI/AAAAAAAAJHQ/8040YOtxqPI/s1600/Celanese%2Bcolor.jpg

Regards,

-Jeff