Re: Shorpy pic Omaha railyard 1938

Eric Hansmann

I would agree with Marty on the use of lever-type hand brakes.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/22502?size=_original#caption

There are a couple elements about the image that make it difficult to see staff-mounted handbrake wheels sticking above the car ends. One is visible in the foreground on a Rock Island car. As you scan deeper into the image, the photo angle and the distance work against us to see these details. After zooming in a bit, I’m unable to determine if I see a brake wheel or part of a latitudinal running board on the dreadnaught end car in the near center of the image, just before the steam loco tender. The car just beyond looks like it might have a lever-type hand brake and the details are a bit fuzzier.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN