Re: DANGEROUS CRUDE OIL

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

We're getting away from freight cars, but I will risk adding one comment to this discussion. Some of the tunnels and likely bridges on the WP in the Feather River Canyon had little wooden guard shacks added during the war years. When I railfanned the WP in the 1970s
photographing FREIGHT CARS, the ruins of a few of these were still visible.

Now back to our regularly scheduled FREIGHT CAR content.

Yours Aye,

Garth

On 9/16/17 9:59 PM, 'Bruce F. Smith' smithbf@... [STMFC] wrote:

In June of 1942, 8 German saboteurs were landed by submarine, 4 on Long Island and 4 in Florida.  They were only caught because one of them decided he was loyal to the US and turned the others in. ​Even before that, the US was on heightened state of alert, but the alert level went up even more afterwards.  Most strategic targets such as bridges, were guarded by US Army or National Guard troops, but others, such as this guard, were also armed as a sort of "home guard".  The weapon may likely be a personal firearm and not company or government issue weapon.

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Von: "'Claus Schlund' claus@... [STMFC]"
An: STMFC
Betreff: [STMFC] DANGEROUS CRUDE OIL

Hi List Members,

Nice shot of tank car placard board, you can even read the placard - DANGEROUS CRUDE OIL

https://www.loc.gov/item/owi2001012082/PP/

Claus Schlund