Re: Careful with the captions

Tony Thompson

John Barry wrote:

While I believe that the date, and other info is correct, and the refinery may even produce AVGAS, I don't think that is the product flowing into this tank car.  Last time I checked, AVGAS was a liquid and shipped in AAR class TM or TMI tanks with expansion domes.  The liquid fuel did (and still does in future times like now) expand and contract with the ambient temperature.  What I see in this photo though is some kind of transfer to or from a pressurized tank where the worked is manipulating the valves protected by a "bonnet".  Note the small diameter of the "dome" and its flanged construction.  Then there is the the hardware on the hoses connecting to the tank, the one has a round dial that looks like a pressure gauge, not something that you would see on a liquid transfer at atmospheric pressure.

     I agree with John. This is not an AvGas tank car, much more likely propane (before it was tagged as LPG). But it really is an excellent shot of the hoses used for loading or unloading ICC 105-type tank cars through the bonnet valving. In fact, I used this same John Vachon photo in a recent blog post explaining how tank cars like this are unloaded. Here's a link if you are interested:

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history