Re: ATSF Bx-3

John Barry

John, Ben, 

My first impression was also of a Bx-8, not noticing the breaks in the vertical sheathing and the wheels seemed closer to the car ends than later practice.  But I cheated and did a look up on the car number which told me Bx-3.  I then took a closer look at the side sheathing which on closer examination is consistent with the Bx-3/6 "panel sheathing".  The car number, 116191, belongs to one of the 1000 Bx-3 that Pullman Standard built for the Santa Fe in 1923.  ACF and SSCC also produced 1000 Bx-3s in 23 with repeat orders of 1000 going to Pullman in 1924 for a total of 4000 Bx-3.  Pullman also built the 1000 identical Bx-6 in 1925.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 
Golden Gates & Fast Freights 
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 
Washington, DC 20026-4736

To: "STMFC@..."
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 5:07 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: ATSF Bx-3

My first impression of the photo was I did not clearly see the vertical frame members which are common on the BX-3,6 classes.  I can barely make out the breaks in the nailing strip.

The corrugated (not dreadnought) end was also on the BX-8 and one end of the BX-7 demo car. BX-9,10 had the dreadnought style ends.

I only later noticed that the nailing strip did line up with the horizontal strip on the door for the BX-3,6 but does not line up on the BX-8.  The nailing strip on the BX-3,6 runs under the herald and above the reporting marks and the BX-8 nailing strip runs under the reporting marks and above the car number.  The photo matches BX-3,6 details.

Also looking at the sill step - the BX-8 style does not match the photo but the BX-3,6 does.

So my suggestion that the photo could have been a BX-8 does not fit the details observed after closer examination. 

To John, your identification does match BX-3,6 details.

John B. Moore, Jr.
Albuquerque

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.