Re: Open Hopper Turned Covered Hopper?

James McDonald

Hi Bob and Garth,

I can confirm that the car in question, and its seven brethren also converted from open hoppers, was in use for locomotive sand exactly as Garth describes. Their conversion happened after the time of this list.

All the best,

James
=-=-=
James McDonald
Greenbelt, MD.

On Sep 26, 2017, at 7:05 AM, STMFC@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Date: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:00 am ((PDT))

Bob,

Not apparently from our era. The reweigh date is 6-68. My 1958 ORER does not list this group of cars. At that time the RF&P owned 16 1700 cubic foot hoppers in series 3402-3501; 48 of 1880 cubic feet in series 3506-3555; and 30 of the same dimensions in series 3561-3590. The latter two series were USRA clones from the 1920s according to Richard Hendrickson.

The car in question seems to be one of the USRA clones. Though I can’t read all the small lettering, it does say the car is restricted to sand loading service (note the spillage under the car) with a return location of Dillwyn, Virginia. Dillwyn was at the end (literally) of the C&O Dillwyn subdivision (now the Buckingham Branch Railroad) where there was a sand loader owned by the Willis Sand Co., a division of the Kyanite Mining Corporation. The sand was a by-prodict from their kyanite mine on nearby Willis Mountain. The loader track at Dillwyn was often crowded with covered hoppers up into the 1980s, among them similar rebuilt RF&P covered hoppers of a different class. The loader and track are still there, though no longer in use.

Though I can’t say for certain, I believe RF&P 7006 was in company service (though going off-line) for carrying locomotive sand.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On Sep 26, 2017, at 2:00 AM, thecitrusbelt@yahoo.com [STMFC] <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

This covered hopper appears to be a conversion from an open top hopper, especially considering the bays:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Richmond-Fredericksburg-Potomac-RF-P-7006-converted-covered-hopper-8x10-photo-/372085206789?hash=item56a201af05:g:fZ0AAOSwLdNZxvP2 <http://www.ebay.com/itm/Richmond-Fredericksburg-Potomac-RF-P-7006-converted-covered-hopper-8x10-photo-/372085206789?hash=item56a201af05:g:fZ0AAOSwLdNZxvP2>

Does anyone know about the history of this or other (assumed) cars in the series?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.